Tuesday, March 25, 1997
Ex-boyfriend turns self in
Doan jailed on kidnapping charges
in Culberson case

BY LISA DONOVAN
The Cincinnati Enquirer

Doan
Vincent Doan is escorted to jail by Clinton Coutny sheriff Ralph Fizer after a bond hearing Monday.
(Glenn Hartong photo)
| ZOOM |

WILMINGTON, Ohio - After a weekend of being hunted by authorities, Vincent Doan turned himself in to Clinton County deputies Monday on charges he kidnapped former girlfriend Carrie Culberson.

Reporters swarmed Mr. Doan as he was led to the sheriff's office late Monday afternoon. Fifteen feet away, friends and family of Miss Culberson clapped, hooted and cheered, convinced he is responsible for her seven-month absence.

Mr. Doan, 24, of Blanchester - clean-shaven and with close-cropped hair - refused to answer questions about the charges or where he had been this past weekend.

But at a hearing an hour later before Common Pleas Judge William McCracken, Mr. Doan pleaded ''not guilty'' to the four kidnapping charges. Bond was set at $100,000 cash or surety. A pre-trial hearing is to be April 18.

John Rion, Mr. Doan's lawyer, did not explain why his client failed to turn himself in when an arrest warrant was issued Friday.

''They don't have to file charges on Friday, so someone has to sit in jail all weekend,'' he said.

Since Friday, sheriff's deputies, as well as police in Wilmington and Blanchester, had been told to arrest Mr. Doan if he was spotted. Mr. Rion said all he would be accompanying his client to the sheriff's office Monday.

The warrant was issued after a Clinton County grand jury handed up a four-count indictment, alleging he kidnapped Ms. Culberson Aug. 29.

If convicted as charged, Mr. Doan could face a maximum of 40 years - 10 years on each of the four charges.


Carrie Culberson
Ms. Culberson, 23, was last seen late Aug. 28 in front of her Blanchester home. Authorities say a friend dropped her off after a volleyball game. A short time later, a neighbor saw her red Honda CRX moving down the street. Neither has been seen since.

A local bondsman said early Monday night that he was working with Mr. Doan and his family to post the $100,000 bond. Mr. Doan was expected to spend the night in jail, said Kevin Walker, who runs Walker Bail Bonds next to the courthouse in downtown Wilmington.

After the hearing, Debra Culberson, Miss Culberson's mother, said the bond was too low. She also was upset Mr. Doan could be released today. ''What's wrong with him sitting in jail? He's taken away from us,'' Mrs. Culberson said. ''Where's Carrie's rights? Where's our right to be with our daughter.''

Because the investigation - including the search for Miss Culberson - continues, County Prosecutor William Peelle refused to comment about the case.

Mr. Rion said Mr. Doan is just as interested in finding Ms. Culberson, and has even hired a private detective to help find her.

Previous stories

EX-BOYFRIEND INDICTED March 22, 1997
GONE WITHOUT A TRACE Feb. 9, 1997