Four-party debate too much for Fisher

Friday, September 25, 1998

BY

The candidates for Ohio governor got no closer to a debate on Thursday, as Democrat Lee Fisher's campaign accused Republican Bob Taft of blurring the issue.

Mr. Taft, who as secretary of state is Ohio's chief elections officer, has insisted that any debates include all four candidates on the Nov. 3 ballot. The other two are Reform Party candidate John Mitchel and Zanna Feitler, a Natural Law Party member who is running as an independent.

Mr. Taft said he had accepted an invitation to debate the other three at the Cleveland City Club on Oct. 30. But Fisher spokeswoman Judy Barbao said Thursday Mr. Fisher had agreed to debate only Mr. Taft at that event.

She said Taft campaign spokesman Brett Buerck was trying to make it look as if Mr. Fisher had agreed to the four-way debate.

"To say we've agreed to a City Club debate with four candidates is absolutely incorrect. He's still continuing to float false information," Ms. Barbao said.

Meanwhile, a joint appearance by Mr. Taft and Mr. Fisher that had been scheduled Oct. 22 in Dayton was canceled this week.

The Your Voice, Your Vote sponsoring group that includes the Dayton Daily News, radio and television stations and the League of Women Voters had planned the forum. Organizers decided not to broaden the one-hour meeting into a four-way forum, saying it would dilute the discussion.

Mr. Taft withdrew this week.

"We are disappointed that Mr. Taft has reneged on his commitment to us," said Ellen Belcher, chairwoman of Your Voice, Your Vote. Organizers thought if they aired a Fisher-only forum, they would have to give Mr. Taft equal air time or risk having their broadcast licenses challenged, Ms. Belcher said.

Mr. Taft said Wednesday he was considering a compromise with Mr. Fisher that would allow some debates to take place. Ms. Barbao said that Mr. Fisher's campaign wanted to negotiate with the City Club, but that Mr. Taft wasn't going to budge.

"They are not moving at all. They're trying to create a false perception that they're willing to do these debates," she said.

Mr. Buerck said the Taft campaign's position had always been clear. "I'm not trying to create a false impression at all," he said. "We're not going to do any one-on-one debates."



Local Headlines For Friday, September 25, 1998

CLINTON - STARR COVERAGE
"Average Joe' robs 4th bank
"Super school' unpopular with parents
'Dead Man Walking' hard for Morris to watch
Buddy up to "Buddy Faro' and 'Two of a Kind'
CAMPAIGN NOTEBOOK
Candidate sues after bus ad refused
Cathedral Fest spotlights art
City left policeman's widow with the bills
City's high schools targeted
Civil Rights' Shining Light
Coach made deal to escape charges
Deters determined to have role in Franklin prosecution
Elections panel: Dems can keep union money
Former Enquirer reporter guilty
Four-party debate too much for Fisher
From nightmare to forgiveness
Health coverage restored for 800
Imperiled Explorers troop bounces back
Judge dismisses sex harrassment case against The Precinct
Kentucky Dems hit hard by scandals
Miss Ohio keeps title
New approach urged on student problems
NKU realigns administration
NKU, professor appeal sex harassment case
Patton linked to indictments
Prisoner had to give himself insulin
Shutdown of FWW brings crackdown
Strike 2 for new landfill
Student's attacker gets 6 years
Sycamore bond issue under fire
TRISTATE DIGEST
Tristate ordered to clean air
Wilkinsons to headline ChiliFest
Wyoming seeks volunteer Webmaster