Wednesday, May 03, 2000
'Derby for Dummies'
Here are terms to increase enjoyment of Saturday's race
By Ray Schaefer
With just a few days before the Kentucky Derby, it's time to brush up on your horse sense.
If you don't know a Derby colt from an Indianapolis Colt, here's an equine version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. Our apologies to Regis Philbin and ABC.
1. In horse racing, a horse is defined as:
A. A 6-year-old or older male horse.
B. A 3-year-old male horse.
C. A 4-year-old female horse.
D. A foal.
2. A yearling would be:
A. A gelding.
B. A filly in the second year of its life.
C. An influential sire.
D. A combination or cross of two family lines in a pedigree that tends to produce successful runners.
3. A broodmare sire is:
A. A horse's mother.
B. A group of horses sired by a stallion in a single year.
C. The sire of a horse's dam.
D. A horse in the first year of its life.
4. A Stakes Race is:
A. A race determined by conditions of past performances and/or earnings that determine the quality of the horse.
B. Races divided into price categories for which a horse may be purchased.
C. A race for horses that have never won a race.
D. The highest quality race, often requiring entry fees by an owner which are added to the prize money.
1. A. A 3-year-old male is a colt, a 4-year-old female is a filly and a foal is a newborn.
2. B. Geldings are castrated males regardless of age. An influential sire is called a chef-de-race, and a combination or cross of two family lines in a pedigree that tends to produce successful runners is a nick.
3. C. A dam is a horse's mother. A foal crop is a group of horses sired by a stallion in a single year, and a horse in the first year of its life is a weanling.
4. D. A race determined by conditions of past performances and/or earnings that determine the quality of the horse is an allowance race. Races divided into price categories for which a horse may be purchased are called claiming races, and a race for horses who have never won is called a maiden race.
Locals Derby dreaming
1st Saturday in May is Lukas time
Continuing Kentucky Derby coverage from Associated Press
37 years after cheerleader's death, boyfriend charged
Students take byte out of life with computers
Dental board to face charges in hearings
RADEL: Motto makers
Alliance seeks new blood
Resignation signals change for hospitals
The evolution of an alliance
KIESEWETTER: Two anchors are sinking newscasts
Around The Commonwealth
Bill on evolution returns
Carlisle has plans for land
Council may pull housing funding
Flower Show goes beyond blooms with kids, sports displays
Funds found for more tests of company's artificial blood
Get to it
Here are terms to increase enjoyment of Kentucky Derby
Jets cost thousands an hour
Lawyer wants taped confession tossed
Man charged with trying to set wife on fire
Math teacher recognized nationally
Milford man to address Methodists today
Pig Gig: All Earth Mother wants is a little respect
Police: Boy, 13, took unloaded gun to New Richmond High
Proposal to restore CSX station renewed
Siren rules not uniform
Teachers to vote on staff changes
Teachers to vote on changes
Turnout a whisper in Indiana
Veterans build home to help sick comrades
Yankee Grey: A band on the way
CROWLEY: Kentucky politics
Queen City's moments to shine reflected in book