Wednesday, June 28, 2000

Missing girl, 3, found

Eight-hour search ends mile away from house

By Jim Hannah
The Cincinnati Enquirer

        GRANT COUNTY — For eight rainy hours Tuesday, 3-year-old Taylor Galvin wandered the woods and hills near her grandmother's farmhouse in Grant County.

Taylor Galvin
        For eight hours, 200 rescue personnel and volunteers combed the dense woods, rolling hills, mucky farmland and a shallow stream nearby, calling her name.

        Shannon Hinsdale, a 21-year-old blacksmith, was one of the volunteers. He left work Tuesday morning and saddled up his horseto help search for the toddler.

        Just before 5 p.m., as his voice again joined others echoing her name, Mr. Hinsdale heard a response.

        “I'm here. Hold on.”

        That calm reply came from a small voice under what looked like a pile of railroad ties. In a moment, a little blonde girl emerged from the woodpile with a dog.

        She had taken shelter from the rain and had kept her bare feet warm under the dog's fur. She was wearing a T-shirt and a dirty diaper. She was about a mile from her grandparents' home.

        “I found her” Mr. Hinsdale shouted.

        The message was quickly relayed to Taylor's grandparents' home, where 75 or so people began cheering and crying.

        Authorities brought the girl back to her relatives. Though she appeared unharmed, they said, they were concerned about her exposure to the cool temperatures and rain and sent her to the Grant County Hospital for observation.

        Authorities figure Taylor wandered away from her grandpar ents' farmhouse, where she had been visiting while her parents, Josh and Jessica Faulkner, readied their new home in Washington state.

        Josh Faulkner is in the Navy and had just been transferred. Jessica, who is originally from Erlanger, left with him, allowing Taylor and her 9-month-old brother, Trent, to visit with their relatives.

        Around 8 a.m., Taylor climbed into bed with her grandmother, Janet Faulkner. When Ms. Faulkner awoke two hours later, Taylor was gone, along with her Teddy bear.

        The back door was open, but the screen door was shut.

        Quickly a search was mobilized. A helicopter from Hamilton County, bloodhounds from the Grant County Dog Rescue Team, firefighters from throughout the state, and others on all-terrain vehicles and horses scoured the woods in the drizzle.


Bengals let go of sellout guarantee
Program could help restore cemetery
Tristate viewers revel in suspense
RADEL: Nordstrom deal
Hospital to lose $12M in funding
Walnut St. Bridge open
Sister cities benefit beyond good will
    "Sister" program's origins traced to Ike in '56
Tributes, pain for slain scientist
West Chester: A name by any other wouldn't be so sweet
Barleycorn's to sail into N.Ky. history
3 boys held in school vandalism
Budget pencils in tax roll-back
City could lower property-tax rate
Classes feed grass roots
Clermont wreck leaves teen dead
Deerfield: We need more police
Design entries chosen
Friends of crash victims trying to copy with tragedy
Kidnap suspect indicted
Land sought for sewer plant
Lawsuits against Kenton dismissed
Lebanon electric rates to go up
Local Community Shares receives grant to start volunteer program
Man douses blaze
- Missing girl, 3, found
Monroe schools to get funds
more teens die in separate wrecks
Movie review: 'Patriot' gamey
Nader could be on Ky. ballot
Northern Kentucky News Briefs
Palm trees adjusting to climate
Parking lot cost up $400,000
Portman mentioned for veep
Principal arrives at Losantiville
So, just why does 'Brady Bunch' live on?
CROWLEY: Why we matter
BIG PIG GIG: Chop 'Til You Drop
Get to it
Tristate A.M. Report