Thursday, August 10, 2000

Gas fumes send 15 vacationers to hospital

The Associated Press

        JAMESTOWN, Ky. — Fifteen people vacationing on Lake Cumberland were hospitalized Wednesday after they were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes on a houseboat, officials said.

        The vacationers, all from the Kalamazoo, Mich., area, had rented two houseboats from the Jamestown Marina on Monday, said Kentucky Water Patrol Officer Tony Wright. Of the 28 vacationers in the group, the 15 who became ill were on one boat and the remaining 13 were on the other vessel, Officer Wright said.

        The group tied the two boats together and anchored in a cove about three miles from the marina Tuesday night, Officer Wright said. Both boats are powered by gasoline-fueled generators, and Officer Wright said exhaust from one of the generators seeped into one of the boats through an open bathroom window.

        “They left a really narrow area between the boats, and the fumes just drifted in,” Officer Wright said.

        The fumes began circulating throughout the full interior of the houseboat once they leaked into its central air-conditioning system, Officer Wright said.

        The occupants began waking up about 5 a.m., all with nausea and headaches, Officer Wright said.

        “I think they realized pretty fast what was happening and how serious the situation was,” Officer Wright said.

        The group radioed the marina, and ambulances met the boats at the shore, Officer Wright said.

        “I actually saw two who were unconscious and others who were drifting in and out of consciousness when I got there,” Officer Wright said.

        All 15 people were taken to Russell County Hospital, said hospital spokeswoman Pauline Davenport. Officer Wright said eight victims were still being treated and three had been admitted as of late Wednesday afternoon. None of the injuries was life-threatening, he said.

        The affected boat, a 77-foot Stardust, was only 3 months old, said Mark Vonfumetti, the marina's general manager.

        Officer Wright said the boat had six carbon-monoxide detectors, but none was properly connected when he inspected the boat Wednesday. Officer Wright said the vacationers denied unhooking the detectors.

        Mr. Vonfumetti said the detectors should have been working when the boat was manufactured.


Storms flash through region
Rules confuse vendors, enforcers
Stadium adds $1.2M in costs
Bengals, usher reps set to talk
FWW connections to open ahead of schedule
Judge: Inmate can get abortion
Police union to blast quotas
Rescuers to be recognized
Beating victim recalls night of terror
Caller may be clue in death
PULFER: Buying time for Murray
Servant to city's poor recognized for his work
Wanted Powerball winner turns self in on DUI charge
Cases of rickets in infants reported
Chuck Berry headlines Taste of Blue Ash
Cincinnati district plays up start date
Mason to break ground for gym and high school
Norwood to try again for levy; Milford unsure
Walgreens eyes Norwood corner
KNIPPENBERG: Waterfront secret was 98` show
KIESEWETTER: PBS chief promises more live programming
Millions hooked on Billy Bass
Ozzy shows why he's still the best
Pig Parade: Austin Sowers
Who should be cast away?
Argument ends in fatal shooting
Boys jab at Olympic future
Clark's reign in Villa Hills nearing end?
Edgewood asking for more money in Nov. operating levy
- Gas fumes send 15 vacationers to hospital
Learning to part with their hair
Lebanon OKs agreement to repair railroad tracks
Man indicted in fatal stabbing of woman
Muskie back in Ky. River
N.Ky. athlete to be honored for work with kids
Patton to speak to Democrats
Radisson roof collapse injures five
School board races have few candidates
Springboro hires superintendent
Third teen in sex case goes to trial
Tire company's actions criticized
Two arrested in drug sales