Wednesday, April 25, 2001
Riot response: jobs for teens
3,000 will have summer work
By Robert Anglen
The Cincinnati Enquirer
Business and political leaders on Tuesday unveiled a $2.2 million plan to create 3,000 summer jobs for teen-agers.
The plan on the heels of the worst riots Cincinnati has seen in 30 years isn't meant to be a cure for the region's problems, but supporters say it will keep kids off the street this summer.
I don't want to tout this as a solution, Mayor Charlie Luken said, referring to the unrest that began with the April 7 police shooting of Timothy Thomas.
Despite the seeming abundance of available jobs, Mr. Luken and others said their plan, called the Summer Youth Employment Initiative, will give low-income youths a chance to link skills to employers.
Procter & Gamble chairman John Pepper (right) and council members Alicia Reece and Paul Booth at a press conference announcing a summer jobs program.|
(Steven M. Herppich photo)
| ZOOM |
The effort, which involves several religious, social, city and county agencies, will begin with an extensive job fair on May 19.
Funding would come from three sources: Hamilton County, which is promising to use $1.5 million in welfare reform money; up to $300,000 from Cincinnati; and $400,000 from the empowerment zone board.
The money would be channeled primarily through the Urban League, Cincinnati Youth Collaborative and Community Action Agency, and would supplement various work programs.
Minor construction jobs through the Cincinnati Public Schools refurbishment project.
Construction jobs and an administrative office training program at the Cincinnati Metropolitan Housing Authority.
Summer internships and computer training programs through faith-based organizations.
Jobs through the Cincinnati Recreation Commission.
Several private companies including Frisch's, Kroger and Paramount's Kings Island have offered to sponsor training programs and pay salaries for summer help.
The job drive is a component of a race relations panel announced last week by Mr. Luken to help address economic and social problems in the wake of the riots.
Procter & Gamble Co. Chairman John Pepper, who spearheaded the initiative, said it is the result of several meetings in the last week.
Oscar Britton, executive director of the youth collaborative, said the increased funding will allow his agency to reach youth in new ways.
He suggested taking a mobile human-resource office into the neighborhoods where they live. There, kids could apply for work permits and get physical exams needed to apply for the summer jobs.
Last year, Mr. Britton said his agency received 4,000 applications for 2,500 jobs.
Several council members said they would vote in favor of the $300,000, but Councilman Phil Heimlich questioned the need for it.
We are about $750,000 short on helping to fix business damaged in the riots, he said. If we have $300,000 laying around somewhere, then that's where it ought to go.
Riot response: jobs for teens
Riot to cost city at least $1.5 million
Riots affected suit, lawyer says
Mold forces school to close classrooms
MTV show gets blame for stunt
School plan openness urged
After century of decline, river quality recovering
Cemetery official charged with theft
Church donates $224,000 for kids
Community center has closed meeting
Debate continues about faith-based programs
Fax leak shattered drug probe, police say
Florence given baseball deadline
Grand jury looking into beanbag case
Guard convicted in prison van crash
Henry: Reimbursements minimal
Illness cited for woman in abuse case
Kentucky installs poet laureate
Kentucky to pay TV figure Walsh $20K for speech
Mason-Montgomery Rd. to widen
Two plead guilty to charges in OxyContin case
Reading teachers resign after e-mail investigation
SAMPLES: Impact of one
Schools graded on discipline
Steger freezes most hiring at UC
Suicide at hospital under investigation
Suspect nabbed inside elementary school
Suspect's statement OK for trial
Kentucky News Briefs
Tristate A.M. Report