Tuesday, August 20, 2002

Hostage freed after Fairfield standoff

Knife-wielding suspect taken

By David Eck
Enquirer contributor

        FAIRFIELD — A man with a knife who released a woman after holding her for nearly six hours Monday was later taken from the woman's apartment by a SWAT team, ending a hostage drama that dragged on for more than 13 hours.

[photo] A woman is removed from her apartment after being held hostage.
(Thomas E. Witte photo)
| ZOOM |
        “At 8:40 p.m., we used a Hamilton Police Department Special Weapons and Tactics team, and he was taken into custody,” Fairfield Police Chief Michael Dickey said. “He was tired, but we still had to force entry.”

        The man was escorted from the building by several heavily armed team members and taken to a waiting ambulance.

        Officials had preferred to wait the man out, but he had taken some unknown medication and police were unsure how he would react, the chief said. There were no injuries, either to the suspect or to police.

        Chief Dickey said the man had erected furniture barricades and was holed up in a bedroom. His identity was not released.

        Initial charges were armed robbery and burglary, with other charges pending.

        Police say the man broke into the apartment in the 5200 block of Camelot Drive at 7:34 a.m. Police dispatchers received a call that a man was entering the apartment.

        “The woman called because she heard someone breaking into the apartment,” Fairfield Police Lt. Ken Colburn said. “The phone went dead. When officers entered the apartment, the man took the woman back into a bedroom.

        “We've had our primary negotiators standing at his door all day,” Lt. Colburn said.

        Officers began negotiations with the man shortly after they arrived.

        The woman was released about 1:18 p.m. She sobbed hysterically as she was escorted from the building by several officers. She was quickly taken into another apartment.

        The two have some type of relationship, police said, but officials did not know details.

        Camelot Drive and the parking lot of the complex were lined with ambulances and more than a dozen police cars throughout the day.


For downtown, a lost weekend
Gun indictment stuns neighbors of Mason man
Light-rail planners hope for bandwagon
MetroMoves: What will it mean to area?
Business academy to rise in Butler Co.
Recruits take first step
Airport security up in the air
Airports beg for baggage-screening delay
Ex-prosecutor 'Most Wanted'
Obituary: Donald Domizio was GE engineer
Obituary: Ron McCroby's lips were his finest instrument
Tristate A.M. Report
HOWARD: Some Good News
PULFER: Shayna's story
RADEL: Land of nods
Butler to vote on mental health levy
Hispanic aid center discussed
- Hostage freed after Fairfield standoff
Marriott closes two of its floors
Miami University bans smoking in dormitories
Property tax isn't a windfall, county says
Step taken to expand board
Warren indicts 2 on sex charges
Aviation park a joy for official
Adult zone study proposed
Deputy jailer in Boyd indicted in beating of inmate who died
Florence officials to review fire chief applicants
Kenton veterans memorial finds quiet spot to be seen