Wednesday, November 6, 2002

E-mails between mayor and monitor

Though a Freedom of Information request, the Enquirer obtained these emails between Cincinnati monitor Alan Kalmanoff and Cincinnati Mayor Charlie Luken.

They date from Oct. 16, when Mr. Kalmanoff introduced himself to the mayor and City Council members, through Tuesday, when Mr. Luken said he had told Cincinnati's city manager not to pay the monitor's first bill:

From: Alan Kalmanoff

To: charlie.luken@rcc.org; alicia.reece@rcc.org; paul.booth@rcc.org; minette.cooper@rcc.org; john.cranley@rcc.org; david.crowley@rcc.org; pat.dewine@rcc.org; chris.monzel@rcc.org; david.pepper@rcc.org; james.tarbell@rcc.org

Sent: 10/16/02 3:30 p.m.

Subject: Cincinnati City Council

Dear Council Member:

As you probably know, I've been appointed as Monitor to oversee the accords; I so look forward to working for the parties to help this major undertaking to take hold and be a credit to all.

I was by City Hall Friday, but "on the fly", and tried hard to see the parties and get acquainted with the police department. I'll hope that on my next visit, after I get a bit organized, I can pay my respects in person, and be available to you.

Thanks very much.

Kal

From: Luken, Charlie

Sent: Wednesday, Oct 16, 2002 11:04 p.m.

To: Alan Kalmanoff

Subject: RE: Cincinnati City Council

I think you should spend a less time talking to the media until you get a better understanding of what is going on here. The initial reaction has been negative, and we have worked very hard to get all parties pointed in an upward direction. I think you should meet with the elected leadership of our city very soon. They have only heard of you from your sound bites.

I look forward to meeting you.

(no signature)

From: Alan Kalmanoff

Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 11:37 p.m.

To: Luken, Charlie

Subject: Re: Cincinnati City Council

Mayor Luken:

Thank you for your e-mail. I've been wanting to make contact, as I'm sure your staff has informed you.

I'm sorry if I offended. I'll have to chart my course based on establishing relationships with everyone.

I met with all the parties who were available right after the announcement, and with the press at the Judge's request; and spent a hectic number of days following up in that manner, including my visit to pay respects to you. The parties have all been very supportive and positive.

I was told you would be at the NAACP dinner and went there hoping to catch you. I certainly will be wanting to talk when you can meet.

I've since made further efforts to meet with the relevant elected officials and hope to meet with you before 3 pm Monday, or almost anytime Tuesday, this coming week. My Office Manager has been working today to obtain appointments with you and the Council members.

I look forward to our talk. And thank you again for your note.

Kal

From: Luken, Charlie

Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2002 2:34 p.m.

To: Alan Kalmanoff

Subject: RE: Cincinnati City Council

I hope you read this morning's Enquirer. Council is very concerned and it is important that we hear from you and not through the media.

Thank you for your response.

(no signature)

From: Alan Kalmanoff

Sent: Saturday, October 19, 2002 9:09 AM

To: Luken, Charlie

Subject: Monday and Tuesday - confirm

I'll meet with you on Monday at 11am, and Council (en banc I hope) Tuesday at 3; I very much look forward to working with you. Kal

Alan Kalmanoff
Executive Director
Institute for Law & Policy Planning
2613 Hillegass Ave, Berkeley, CA 94704
510-486-8352 tel, 510-841-3710 fax, 510-593-8201 cell.

From: Luken, Charlie

Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 10:54 AM

To: Alan Kalmanoff

Subject: RE: Monday and Tuesday - confirm

The Enquirer reporter has asked for a copy of my e-mails to you, and I must comply. It seems that Robert Anglen is telling the entire newsroom about his friendly relationship with you, and how I have asked you not to speak to the Enquirer.

As you know, I have only talked to you through e-mails, copies of which I have gladly supplied to the Enquirer today.

(Correspondence may be missing at this point)

From: Alan Kalmanoff

To: Luken, Charlie

Sent: 10/28/02 2:25 PM

Subject: food supplement and political stuff

Mr. Mayor:

1. the two things I take daily, that have worked, are:

glucosamine sulfate
chondroitan sulfate

You'll need to take them for 3 months before seeing results.

Good luck.

As to the money and contract issue, the truth is there will be no money issue with ILPP's monitoring, as we're inexpensive and non-profit, have a low overhead and low fees; BUT, I cannot be put in a situation where I predict the costs; they are dependent on the compliance, and the work requirements. I hope that conflict passes, as there a lot of work going on around it.

Overall, I'm confident of doing a good job and look forward to working with you.

Kal.

Alan Kalmanoff
Executive Director
Institute for Law & Policy Planning

From: Luken, Charlie

Sent: Monday, October 28, 2002 9:53 PM

To: `Alan Kalmanoff'

Cc: Luken, Charlie

Subject: RE: food supplement and political stuff

Thanks for the info. I am taking some of that now. If you cannot predict costs, I suggest you reconsider your engagement. As you know, we have a very large deficit, as do most cities in our region of the country.

Accordingly, it was important for us to cap the costs of your work here. Without that cap, safety, parks, seniors, health, and many, many more services are in doubt. One million dollars can provide health services to hundreds of people who are uninsured.

Without firm numbers, our relationship is destined for problems. That is why we wrote the agreements the way we did.

Sorry, but true.

(no signature)

From: Luken, Charlie

Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 3:06 PM

To: Alan Kalmanoff

Subject: RE: food supplement and political stuff

I have had the opportunity to review your bill, and Oh, my God!

I repeat, please reconsider your engagement here. I have told the City Manager not to pay this.

(no signature)

From: Luken, Charlie

Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 3:19 PM

To: Alan Kalmanoff

Subject: RE: food supplement and political stuff

By the way, I am sure the City Council will support this instruction to you: STOP!!

(no signature)

From: Luken, Charlie

Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 11:48 AM

To: Alan Kalmanoff

Cc: Luken, Charlie

Subject: RE: food supplement and political stuff

If you were keeping track:

I have told the City Manager NOT to pay your bill, at least until council gets to pass judgement.

She says you told her that you would stop work in eight days if the bill is not paid. I suggest you stop NOW. I have no intention of paying your bill, and will advocate to city council that they adopt the same position.

(no signature)