The Cincinnati Enquirer
Fourteen projects and people have been honored with 2002 Preservation Awards by the Cincinnati Preservation Association (CPA).
Rehabilitation: Barlow Motors Building, Over-the-Rhine; Norwood Branch Library; Boone County Clerk's Office, Burlington; 535 Terrace Avenue, Clifton; Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption, Covington; Sycamore Place (Krippendorf Building), downtown; former Universalist Church, Newtown; Jean-Robert at Pigall's, downtown; and Park Flats, Walnut Hills.
Education: Trudy Backus and Architreks Volunteers for downtown walking tours; Ruth Ann Busald for her efforts to promote and preserve the history of Madisonville; and the Art League and Robert Flischel for the book An Expression of the Community: Cincinnati Public Schools' Legacy of Art and Architecture.
Individual Achievement: Sherry Lee Corbett, in memoriam for her contribution to historic preservation in Hamilton. A Special Recognition Award was given to Engine Co. 19, Corryville, Cincinnati Fire Department, for its skill in extinguishing a fire at Mount Auburn's historic Gorham Worth House.
Here's a closer look at the Rehabilitation awards:
The former Barlow Motors Building, in the Over-the-Rhine Historic District, was renovated by architect Bruce Robinson. The complex consists of a pair of 1915 and 1917 commercial-style brick buildings, both designed by architect Harry Hake.
A Renaissance Revival-style edifice built in 1906, the Norwood Branch Library was the second of nine Carnegie libraries built in Hamilton County. Mechanical systems were upgraded, the building was made accessible to the disabled and original features, including Rookwood urns, were restored. Ray Hills Jr., director of facilities and security services for the library system and Joe Schwab of GBBN Architects accepted the award.
The Boone County Fiscal Court was honored for restoring the county's oldest government building (1853-1854). In the 1880s, it was converted to a bank and in the 1920s it was relocated one block west. In summer 2001, the building was moved back to the Boone County Courthouse Square and restored by Allied Builders to house the Boone County Historic Preservation Review Board. A representative of Boone County, Matt Becher, rural/open space planner; and Joey Wood from Edwards Moving and Rigging accepted the award.
An English Revival stone cottage at 535 Terrace Ave., Clifton, built in 1930 for a Hungarian count, was rescued from years of decay by Matt Neff and Shawn Masters. Mr. Neff, Mr. Masters and contractor Kamel Kasson accepted the award.
The Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption, built 1895-1910 in Covington, is considered the finest French Gothic church in America. A comprehensive, multiyear restoration and renovation campaign was overseen by the Cathedral Foundation. Mike Smith of KZF Architects, Chris Klensch of Klenco Construction and Mary Paula Schuh, president of the Cathedral Foundation, accepted the award.
Sycamore Place, or the Krippendorf Building, downtown, has been adapted as 105 apartments. The massive complex was built as a shoe factory, a pair of multistory structures, in 1888 and 1904. The older structure was designed by Samuel Hannaford. Chris Kneuven of Al Neyer Inc., Tony Hobson of North American Properties and Larry Suer and David Ross of Cole + Russell Architects accepted the award.
The Greek Revival former Universalist Church in Newtown, one of the earliest buildings in one of Hamilton County's oldest towns, has been adaptively reused as the offices of the Motz Group. Built in 1853, the mixed-use edifice originally housed a Universalist congregation, an Oddfellows Hall and Newtown municipal offices. Joe Motz and Bruce Goetzman of PAST (Preservation Architecture Services Team) accepted the award.
Chef Jean-Robert de Cavel has transformed the former Pigall's Restaurant into Jean-Robert at Pigall's, an upscale French restaurant. The building was built around 1825 as a residence. Mr. de Cavel and partner Martin Wade accepted the award.
Park Flats, a classic apartment building listed in the National Register of Historic Places, was restored by owner Ed Horgan. Built in 1904, Park Flats is unique in the city as an adaptation of the Chicago Commercial Style to an apartment building.
Cut your own holiday tree
Tips keep tree fresh throughout the holidays
Metal moves around the house
Milford, Aurora celebrate merry Victorian Christmas
Association honors area preservationists
Time to dig up new bed for spring
Decorate tables without splurging
Florist sees extraordinary in ordinary
Treat holiday guests to the gift of comfort
In the know
Get to it!