By Patricia Mahaffey
MADEIRA - Festival-goers can step into the past today at Sellman Park when Ohio's Bicentennial and Madeira's heritage are celebrated with games, food, crafts, pioneer toy-making, militia re-enactors, and music ranging from bluegrass to dulcimer to Native American drumming.
Joseph Hetzler and Elizabeth (Guerin) Hetzler, in an undated photograph, sit on a porch in Madeira. |
| ZOOM |
Russ DeMar's voice will be in the air - a baritone harmonizing in a barbershop quartet roaming the Madeira Festival in the Park singing old favorites. The free festival runs 1-10 p.m. today at Sellman Park.
DeMar's family has been part of this community from its beginnings, back to the late 1790s when Jacob and Elizabeth Hetzler, DeMar's great-great-great grandparents, arrived from Pennsylvania and settled on about 100 acres around the present day site of the Madeira library. Their grave markers can still be seen above the north wall bordering the library parking lot.
Their 10th child, Joseph, who was born five years after Ohio's statehood, married Elizabeth Guerin. Joseph and Elizabeth lived at what is now the corner of Shawnee Run and Miami Roads. Joseph and Elizabeth's fifth child, Synthelia "Cely" Hetzler became DeMar's great-grandmother.
She married William DeMar, the first of James and Jane DeMars' 10 children. James and Jane arrived in 1828 from Maryland, just four years after a new road, now Montgomery Road, was built to make travel to Cincinnati easier.
William and Cely built a home on what is now DeMar Road. They had 17 children, and according to Eleanor Taft in her 1961 book Hither and Yon on Indian Hill, Cely "possessed a particularly unruffled disposition," always allowing the children to bring guests home, setting the table for "between 20 and 25 for every meal."
William and Cely's sixth child, James, was Russell DeMar's grandfather. In 1866, when James was 5, the Marietta and Cincinnati Railroad completed a railroad stop on the site of a natural spring here, the water being an important source for replenishing steam engines after the long, uphill haul from Madisonville.
The stop, now used as a restaurant, was named for the railroad's treasurer, John Madeira.
In 1871, the village of Madeira was platted around the intersection of Miami Avenue and Camargo Road. By 1874, with Madeira's population under 200, a railroad publication enticed people to move here, citing, among other things, " a genteel, intelligent society, with no leaning toward what is known as fashionable society."
Man from Delhi dies during attack in Iraq
Kentucky: Spence Bridge is a priority
Teacher fired; she wed outside Church
Woman runs van in garage, calls 911
IN THE TRISTATE
An eventful weekend for the Queen City
"Big Lill" survives first episode
Madeira celebrates its heritage
Throat injury nets girl $139K
Evendale may take farm
Police indicted in Ind.
Jack Herb's roots are 125 years deep
$340,000 face lift for water tank
Moeller goes high-tech to attract cool students
Habitat founder wants to celebrate the vision
Auditor links taxes, population decline
Foster father guilty in girl's shaking death
Bronson: Street crime comes to the crime fighter's doorstep
Howard: Good Things Happening
McNutt: Toast a ghost on Lebanon tour
Faith Matters: Bishop to speak of coffee ethics
BUTLER, WARREN, CLERMONT
National spotlight on school
Miami University students' Uptown Taxi service hailed
Fairfield Schools battling red ink
Park plan trumps road plan
Alternative school uses Internet curriculum
Sharonville plans new firehouse
Sister Patricia Ann Ward, educator
Thom Hanser was runner and writer
Motion aims to defend commandments
Regulars go for food, family
Priest, teacher suspended
County says smokers have no right to light
Kentucky News Briefs