The Associated Press
LIMA, Ohio - Four teenagers hospitalized after eating seeds from a toxic hallucinogenic weed should recover without permanent damage, a doctor said.
The male Shawnee High School students, ages 17 and 18, remained at St. Rita's Medical Center on Saturday. Two are in critical condition and two are in serious condition, a nursing supervisor said.
Two of them were on machines to help them breathe because they'd been sedated to prevent them from injuring themselves because of hallucinations caused by jimson weed, Dr. Eric Kirschner said.
They ate jimson weed seeds late Thursday night, said Shawnee Township police Chief Richard Kohli. The plant is poisonous but not illegal, he said.
All four should stop hallucinating within 24 to 48 hours from the time they ate the seeds, Kirschner said. "There is no safe amount of this."
Authorities were not sure where the teens found the poisonous plant, which usually grows in farm fields and along roads.
Winds whack Warren Co.
Storm-trashed school: When it rains, it pours
Wife sues to make casino ban husband
Levee begins growth spurt
IN THE TRISTATE
Lane Seminary propelled anti-slavery movement
Celts in kilts compete at Coney
Churches unite for message of inclusion
Our stories need your help!
4 new school leaders bond
Income down in Tristate
Volunteers needed to remove cedars
NCH: Remember when?
Bronson: Supremes are disarmingly wrong again
Pulfer: When it comes to crime, white-collar is way to go
Howard: Good Things Happening
BUTLER, WARREN, CLERMONT
Traffic a high priority in Miami Twp.
W. Chester may get facility
Picket lines welcome fans to Miami for game against UC
Dog park to open in Butler
Earle 'Bud' Gillis, former executive, promoter for WCET
Ingeborg R. Meckel taught at Lotspeich
Teens expected to recover from weed poisoning
Cleveland Catholic school sued over firing
Owners reunited with Jack the donkey
Ex-adjutant general dies in plane crash