The Associated Press
LOUISA, Ky. - An American bald eagle found sick at Yatesville Lake State Park has died at a raptor rehabilitation center in Louisville.
The 8-pound male eagle had common symptoms of West Nile virus, including the inability to fly or hold its head up, said Eileen Wicker, executive director of Raptor Rehabilitation of Kentucky.
Wicker initially thought the bird had lead poisoning, but a blood test confirmed West Nile, a disease transmitted by the bite of an infected mosquito.
Wicker said this was the first time she had treated an eagle for the virus.
Amos: Longtime cashier is sold on union membership
High cost of I-75 fix could shelve other plans
Armed activists say guns protect
Norwood emerges as office magnet
No school today in Kings
The proof is in the putting? Yes, indeed
MORE LOCAL HEADLINES
AIDS privacy law argued
Columbia Park's memory honored
4-H adviser keeps head in the clouds
Students building skills for working
Sea cow shuffle in the works
Ropin' Rockets perform
Visitors keep farm afloat
Waste water plant opposed
Arthur Hoffheimer served many volunteer organizations
Harriet Rauh, 94, was longtime arts supporter
Animal ashes spread on farm; some look askance
State fair procedures remain
Smoke bans pushed in Ohio
Team's goodbye poignant
And the winning student is ...
Group tackles gap in learning
Bald eagle dies from West Nile
IN CASE YOU MISSIED IT...
Sunday's local news report