Friday, November 21, 2003

City turns over Empire fiasco documents to FBI



By Gregory Korte
The Cincinnati Enquirer

DOWNTOWN - Cincinnati city officials have turned over thousands of pages of documents to FBI agents investigating the failed Empire Theater project in response to a new round of federal grand jury subpoenas.

The subpoenas probe even further into how the city handled the $184,172 in grants and loans to LaShawn R. Pettus-Brown, a former pro basketball player in Japan who said he had plans for turning the 89-year-old Over-the-Rhine theater into a nightclub.

Specifically, the FBI asked for documents related to the Internal Audit Division's review of the project released last month, and documents related to Community Development Director Peg Moertl's resignation in September.

Pettus-Brown, a former Taft High School basketball standout and Soul Fest promoter, has been missing since December 2002. The FBI has a warrant for his arrest.

The documents were turned over to the grand jury the day after the City Council election. They were made available to reporters and City Council members for the first time Thursday.

One document turned over to the grand jury was a June 9, 2002 letter from Pettus-Brown to general contractor Rich Enyeart of RLE Construction.

In it, Pettus-Brown asked Enyeart to advance him the money he was supposed to get from the city so that he could promote a Ja Rule hip-hop concert in Sydney, Australia.

"My goal was to temporarily use my funds for the concert while taking $120,000 of the city's money to acquire the building and cover some operating costs and put the money back into the project when the tour was complete," Pettus-Brown wrote. That concert never happened.

The project stalled in late 2002 after city officials stopped making payments on invoices because Pettus-Brown did not provide evidence of outside financing. He later provided what purported to be a letter of credit from PNC Bank, which the bank said was bogus.

E-mail gkorte@enquirer.com




ARCHDIOCESE PLEA DEAL
Archdiocese found guilty of failing to report abuse
Mike Allen's statement on plea agreement
Despite plea, few see need for bishop's exit
Some of faithful content with plea
Fund for victims has a big catch
Ask a question about the Archdiocese's plea

TOP STORIES
Jazz fans tune in to Mama
Con man gets 23 years
Man dies crossing Ohio Pike

IN THE TRISTATE
Trustees delay parking change
Batavia schools tighten belts
Alum endows Miami U. faculty post in finance
Bus driver charged in death of pedestrian
Supporters rally behind county plan for future
City turns over Empire fiasco documents to FBI
Lakota schools warn of cuts
Photo brings out splendor of lit-up river, Tall Stacks
Dancers practice for big parade
Regional Report
Firm gets rights to Children's heart drug
West asks to be own lawyer

ENQUIRER COLUMNISTS
Downs: Got $100,000 that's burning a hole in your pocket?
Howard; Good Things Happening

OBITUARIES
Ronald Fein was court magistrate
Catherine C. Borchers gave time to children
Kentucky Obituaries

OHIO
Legislative counsel charged in 'naked photographer' case
Taft threatens to veto bill allowing concealed guns
Ohio Moments

KENTUCKY
Anime convention may draw 1,000 to N.Ky.
Three die when plane crashes near college
African singers are just kids, too
Diocese wants judge removed
Traffic study under review in Kenton Co.
Kentucky to do