Sunday, November 30, 2003
Page Two power rankings
By Mike Ball
The Cincinnati Enquirer
1. UC football. It might or might not have been the end of the Rick Minter regime, but at least the Bearcats came out and played big against Louisville Friday. They gave a game effort against a solid team.
2. Miami football. What a regular season. Eleven straight wins after an opening loss to Iowa, a chance for both MAC championships, and a bowl game to boot. Dear Ben: One More Year!
3. Thanksgiving Day giving. It was good to see Bengals players donating their time helping feed the underprivileged. And props to former Bengal Mike Martin, the Taft football coach who rounded up many of his players so they could help.
4. Valerie King. The UC hoopster poured in a school- and Conference-USA-record 46 points against Charleston Southern last week. Should be a good challenge for the Xavier women in today's Crosstown Shootout.
5. Warren Spahn. The all-time winningest left-hander died last week. He served at the Battle of the Bulge and the Bridge at Remagen.
1. The NFL (No Fun League). Rams coach Dick Vermeil got a stern warning from the NFL office after he said he would give Morten Andersen an expensive bottle of wine for making a game-winning field goal. He was reminded that offering performance bonuses not included in a player's contract is forbidden. Pul-eez.
2. John Riggins. This isn't a shot at the old mohawk-wearing Redskin, but he made one of the great all-time blunders during the Lions pregame show. He referred to Lions quarterback Joey Harrington as Joey HETHERTON!
3. Baseball money. The world champion Marlins gave first baseman Derrek Lee to the Cubs because he was due a big raise in arbitration. And on it goes.
4. Kenyon Martin. Think he's second-guessing his trashy comments now that Alonzo Mourning needs a kidney transplant?
5. NFL playoff tickets. It's not the Bengals' fault how much playoff tickets cost. But it's tough to pull out that kinda cash during the Christmas season.
Repeat it: Panthers are state champions
Daugherty: QB Florian can connect
Edgewood positive after loss
Versailles, Columbus Grove win titles
Mount Notre Dame 50, McNicholas 37
Seton upsets No. 7 Oak Hills
Groeschen: High school insider
Ernst: Kentucky high school insider
Prep sports results
BENGALS / NFL GAME DAY
Bengals' tandem showing promise
Bengals-Steelers: The Edge
Realignment forces teams into quirky playoff spot
Curnutte's Power Rankings
Bearcats hammer Coppin State
XU shows some life in loss
Debatable foul helped lift Hoosiers to victory
Women's Crosstown Shootout: XU young, but UC not naive
Lewin's 29 points pace NKU to victory
Top 25: Tar Heels escape upset bid
Bowling Green gets its rematch
Victory not quite enough for Vols
Top 25: Georgia states its case
Scores, how the Top 25 fared
Solich fired as Nebraska coach
REDS / BASEBALL
O'Brien likes look of bullpen
Reds e-mail Q&A
Yanks prepare counter-punch
MORE SPORTS HEADLINES
Twin brothers boost UC soccer
Page Two power rankings
Top of the First
Sports on TV, radio