Friday, January 2, 2004

Public safety briefs



Carbon monoxide sends 3 to hospital

HAMILTON - Two adults and a child - were hospitalized Thursday after they were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes in a Goodman Avenue home.

A life squad responding about 4:30 p.m. found three people who firefighters suspected were suffering from exposure to carbon monoxide fumes, Hamilton Fire Department Deputy Chief Bob Harmon said.

Subsequent testing showed significant levels of carbon monoxide, Harmon said. Fire officials said a space heater in the basement may have been the source of the fumes.

A 47-year-old woman and a 28-year-old man were transported to University Hospital in Cincinnati, and a 6-year-old was taken to Fort Hamilton Hospital, Harmon said. Their conditions were not available Thursday night.

Three other people in the home who showed no symptoms of exposure to carbon monoxide were transported to Fort Hamilton for observation.

Mobile meth lab closes I-71 for hours

BLUE ASH - A section of Interstate 71 was closed for more than three hours while officers dismantled a mobile methamphetamine lab inside the trunk of a vehicle late Wednesday.

Frederick H. Purcell, 31, of Verona, was arrested on two felony charges: illegal manufacture of drugs and illegal assembly or possession of chemicals for the manufacture of drugs.

Around 11 p.m. Wednesday, Purcell was driving a maroon 1991 Toyota Camry southbound on Interstate 71 when police stopped the vehicle for traffic violations.

Inside the car, police said they found methamphetamine and chemicals used in its production. Because those materials are considered hazardous, police from Blue Ash and Montgomery closed I-71 at Pfeiffer Road from 11:30 p.m. Wednesday until 3 a.m. Thursday.

Police enlisted the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration's Columbus office and Greenhills Police Sgt. Matt Johnson, a specialist in investigation and handling of methamphetamine labs, to help secure the chemicals and gather evidence.

Man falls to his death from balcony in Athens

ATHENS - An Ohio University student died after falling from a fifth-floor balcony early Thursday after a New Year's Eve party, police said.

The 20-year-old man from Allen County fell shortly before 5 a.m., investigating officer Rick Olexa said. His name was not being released until his family and roommate could be notified.

It was not immediately clear what lead to the fall.

He was declared dead at O'Bleness Memorial Hospital in Athens.




TOP STORIES
Balmy temps lessen the agony
Body parts present a puzzle
Gathering recalls freedom struggle
'3 ... 2 ... 1 ... O.K., push! It's a boy!'

IN THE TRISTATE
Director named for incentive program
Harrison Avenue studied
Mother questions school's priorities
Nun answers call on field and court
Mega Millions winner still has not claimed $162M prize
Public safety briefs
News Briefs
Neighbors briefs

ENQUIRER COLUMNISTS
Effect of last year's issues to carry over
Good Things Happening

LIVES REMEMBERED
Roger Early Jr., antiques expert
Melvin Burbrink, 79, was city police officer

KENTUCKY STORIES
Square to anchor Monmouth