Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Public safety briefs

Child dies after falling into swimming pool

GREEN TOWNSHIP - A 27-month-old boy died Tuesday night after he fell into a residential swimming pool.

Hamilton County Sheriff's deputies and Green Township police officers responded to the 5800 block of Cedar Ridge Drive at 5:58 p.m. for a report of a child who had fallen into a pool, the sheriff's office said. The Green Township Fire Department transported the child to Mercy Franciscan Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 7:28 p.m.

The incident remains under investigation by the sheriff's criminal investigation section.

15-year-old arrested after BB gun fired

GREEN TOWNSHIP - A 15-year-old boy was arrested Tuesday after a BB gun was fired at students getting off an Oak Hills school bus.

The Hamilton County Sheriff's Office charged the boy with inducing panic and criminal endangering in the incident, which occurred about 2:35 p.m. in the area of Garmar and Hearne roads.

There were no reported injuries to the students who were getting off the bus.

Drake patient back

after surprise exit

HARTWELL - A partially paralyzed man who left Drake Center Inc. Monday with a former girlfriend who had been ordered to stay away from him arrived back at the hospital Tuesday afternoon.

Eric Simon, 42, an Addyston police officer, was surrounded by his sisters after his return. Recovering from a stroke, officials said, he was pushed out a front door of the hospital Monday in his wheelchair by the woman, Christine Spencer. Hospital officials said the couple had a long-term relationship, but that Simon's family asked last week that she not be allowed to see him.

Spencer was arrested Tuesday afternoon, but details about how and when Spencer and Simon returned were not immediately available.

Drake vice president Patricia Clark said hospital staff followed all procedures when they spotted Spencer in the hospital Monday. A nurse manager called security, Clark said, but Spencer and Simon were gone before the security officers arrived.

Spencer is a registered nurse, but Clark said it was important for Simon to get back to his rehabilitation.

Pettus-Brown pleads not guilty to charges

LaShawn Pettus-Brown pleaded not guilty Tuesday to federal charges that he defrauded the city of Cincinnati after he was hired to rebuild the Empire Theater in Over-the-Rhine.

Pettus-Brown, 27, was indicted last week on two counts of theft of government funds, three counts of wire fraud and three counts of money laundering.

Prosecutors have said the scandal cost city taxpayers at least $184,000. Pettus-Brown's attorney, Kenneth Lawson, has said his client "got in over his head" on the project, but did not do anything criminal.

Vaccine testing short of subjects
Changes for jurors proposed
Symphony likely to raise prices
Work goes on amid turmoil

Torso identified; detectives comb sites
Possible funding found for Brent Spence Bridge
Bus riders protest cuts
Thanks poured out
Mason council OKs raise
Neighbors briefs
Overture Awards finalists hit the stage on Saturday
Public safety briefs
Montessori method on display for parents
Summit brings in new team, fires architect
Man, 21, cited as teen's alcohol source

Korte: Reform ideas might not fly with council
Democratic commission candidate still unclear
Good Things Happening

Louie Cox, 69, NAACP leader
Sr. Alfreda Alexander, 91, chemistry professor

Defibrillators donated to baseball league
Residents object to new homes
Flea market puts end to smoking
'Seabiscuit' study comes to life as kids visit track
Cold Spring no-knock law starts next month
Kenton weighs tax for medics
Old nickname inspires new park's moniker
N. Kentucky news briefs