The Associated Press
English soccer superstar David Beckham and his wife, Victoria, have taken legal
advice over newspaper reports said a statement released Monday by the couple.
"This weekend a series of even more absurd and unsubstantiated claims have been published about David and Victoria Beckham.
"The couple continue to dismiss these stories and they will not be commenting upon them further at this time. Lawyers have been instructed by David and Victoria concerning these matters," said the statement, released by management agency 19.
Last week, the News of the World tabloid reported that Beckham, 28, had a sexual relationship with his personal assistant Rebecca Loos, 26.
Beckham issued a statement describing the story as "ludicrous," but that did nothing to dampen media frenzy. When the Beckhams retreated to the French Alps for a skiing holiday last week, the newspapers followed them.
On Sunday, Malaysian-born model Sarah Marbeck, 29, was quoted as telling the News of the World she had sex with Beckham hours after meeting him in Singapore in July 2001. She said they spent their second and last night together in March 2002.
She claimed they called and sent mobile phone text messages to each other for at least a year, before they lost touch.
Beckham, who played for Manchester United, moved to Spain to play for Real Madrid.
His wife spends most of her time in England with their two sons, 5-year-old Brooklyn and 18-month-old Romeo. The former Spice Girl has been trying to rekindle her flagging pop career.
they do the right thing?
Naked' quick, refreshing
will host discussions for On the Same Page readers
sellers: What's hot in the Midwest
claims dog Beckham
King statue coming to hometown
glad 'Kill Bill' turned into a double date
Get to it: Disabled history discussion