Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Berlin opera gets new boss



The Associated Press

German director Kirsten Harms will take over Berlin's troubled Deutsche Oper, filling a post that has been vacant for a year.

Harms will replace Udo Zimmermann, who quit a year ago after only two seasons. Zimmermann complained that he was forced out by the cash-strapped city government.

Harms will take over the opera's management for the 2004-2005 season and her contract will run until 2011, said Thomas Flierl, Berlin's top culture official.

One of her first tasks will be to find a replacement for the opera's music director, Christian Thielemann, who quit last week in a dispute over scarce funding.

The Deutsche Oper said Harms made her debut at the Berlin house last year, directing a production of Rossini's "Semiramide."

Flierl said he was confident the new director "will succeed in developing the Deutsche Oper into a leading international opera house with a solid economic foundation."




FOOD
A parade lunch to love
Cooks bring out a parade of goodies for guests
Sisters' recipes
Coffee's long history opens eyes
Trade Secrets: Tips on dining in and dining out
Freeze boredom with cool treats

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT
Chamber season attracts stellar players
Chamber Orchestra season
Where will 'Idol' also-rans end up?
Mraz mixes styles to create own
Streisand, Hoffman add anticipation to 'Fockers'
Savor 'Soul Food' for last time
Berlin opera gets new boss

PEOPLE
Madonna tour is skipping stops in Israel
Elliott cancels Indonesia show
Mortensen celebrates Fourth of July abroad
Birthdays

PLANNING AHEAD
Get to it: A guide to help make your day
TV Best Bets