1. The Da Vinci Code, Dan Brown (Doubleday; $24.95) Murder leads to clues in the works of Leonardo.
2. The Rule of Four, Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason (Dial; $24) Four brainy roommates seek to break a code leading to ancient treasure.
3. The Five People You Meet in Heaven, Mitch Albom (Hyperion; $19.95) Maintenance man's life is explained by people he meets in heaven.
4. The Jane Austen Book Club, Karen Joy Fowler (Putnam; $23.95) Club discussion reveals how life imitates art.
5. Hidden Prey, John Sandford (Putnam, $26.95) Detective Lucas Davenport adjusts to solving crime without as much personal angst.
6. The Narrows, Michael Connelly (Little Brown; $25.95) Serial killer The Poet returns.
7. The Full Cupboard of Life, Alexander McCall Smith (Pantheon; $19.95) Precious Ramotswe's client seeks her suitor's true intentions.
8. Just One Look, Harlan Coben (Dutton; $25.95) Recently developed old photo brings the past into focus.
9. The Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Ruiz Zafon (Penguin; $24.95) Young man's life parallels the book he is obsessed with.
10. True North, Jim Harrison (Grove/Atlantic; $24) Attempts to exorcise forefathers' sins fall short.
1. Eats, Shoots and Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation, Lynne Truss (Gotham; $17.50)
2. The South Beach Diet, Arthur Agatston, M.D. (Rodale; $24.95)
3. Dress Your Family in Courduroy and Denim, David Sedaris (Little Brown, $24.95). Essays cover author's family life.
4. Big Russ and Me: Father and Son - Lessons of Life, Timothy Russert (Miramax; $22.45)
5. The Purpose-Driven Life: What on Earth am I Here For?, Rick Warren (Zondervan; $19.99)
The South Beach Diet Cookbook, Arthur Agatston (Rodale; $24.95)
6. Founding Mothers: The Women Who Raised Our Nation, Cokie Roberts (Morrow; $24.95)
7. The Ultimate Weight Solution Cookbook, Dr. Phillip C. McGraw (Free Press, $26)
8. Plan of Attack, Bob Woodward (S&S; $28) The Bush White House's battle plan and how it grew.
9. Alexander Hamilton, Ron Chernow (Penguin; $35) Biography of a lesser-known Founding Father.
10. Truth & Beauty, Ann Patchett (HarperCollins, $23.95) Memoir of Patchett's friendship with Autobiography of a Face author Lucy Grealy.
1. The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd (Penguin; $14) A teen tries to discover her mother's past.
2. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Mark Haddon (Vintage; $12) Autistic boy solves the pet murder he is accused of.
3. #1 Ladies' Detective Agency, Alexander McCall Smith (Anchor; $11.95) Series starring private eye Precious Ramotswe.
4. Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy (Penguin; $16) Love or lack of it begats adultery in Russia.
5. The Time Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger (Harvest; $14) Love survives past, present and future.
6. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Carson McCullers (Mariner; $12) Small town citizens seek to escape where and who they are.
7. The Lovely Bones, Alice Sebold (Back Bay; 13.95) Teen murder victim looks down on the living.
8. The Known World, Edward P. Jones (Amistad; $13.95) Lines between masters and slaves blur.
9. Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons, Lorna Landvik (Ballantine; $13.95) Five female friends and three decades of life's travails.
10. Life of Pi, Yann Martel (Harvest; $14) A boy and a tiger are thrown together in a lifeboat at sea.
1. Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books, Azar Nafisi (Random House; $13.95) A skillful blend of memoir and literary criticism.
2. The Devil in the White City, Eric Larson (Vintage; $14.95) Murder shadows the Chicago World's Fair.
3. The South Beach Diet Good Fats/Good Carbs Counter, Arthur Agatston, M.D. (Rodale; $7.99)
4. Stupid White Men... and Other Sorry Excuses for the State of the Nation, Michael Moore (Regan Books; $13.95)
5. 1,000 Places to See Before You Die, Patricia Schultz (Workman; $18.95) Guide to exotic places.
6. The Red Hat Society, Sue Ellen Cooper (Warner; $12.95) New "bible" for women of a certain age.
7. What to Expect When You're Expecting, Heidi E. Murkoff, Arlene Eisenberg and Sandee Hathawy (Workman; $13.95)
8. Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood, Alexandra Fuller (Random House; $13.95)
9. Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, Mary Roach (Norton, $13.95)
10. Been There Should've Done That II: More Tips for Making the Most Out of College, Suzette Tyler (Front Porch; $9.95)
Based on reporting from independent booksellers of the Great Lakes Booksellers Association, Upper Midwest Booksellers Association and Book Sense for week ended June 6.
Dental implant designed to help you shed pounds
Brother repays sister for her love
Know Tribe breathes real life into 'American'
Schwarzenegger cameos in '80 Days'
TV's best bets
Chicago; Earth, Wind and Fire hit Riverbend
Novel eavesdrops on 1920s literary women
Best sellers: What's hot in the Midwest