Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Public Safety briefs

Man gets 54 to life for two murders

A Cumminsville man was sentenced Tuesday to spend at least 54 years in prison for the October shooting deaths of two men in Millvale.

Hamilton County Common Pleas Court Judge NorbertNadel ordered Marvin French, 30, to serve 54 years to life on charges of murder, aggravated murder and robbery.

The slayings stemmed from a drug deal gone wrong on Oct. 16, prosecutors said.

Jermico Clifford, 30, of Cincinnati and Alberto Hamilton, 29, of Hamilton were shot to death.

16-year-old seeks rape trial as adult

A 16-year-old Northwest High School boy accused of raping two fellow students wants his case heard in adult court.

Hamilton County Juvenile Magistrate Katherine Watkins scheduled a hearing on the request. It's unusual for the suspect to ask that his or her case be moved, Hamilton County Prosecutor Mike Allen said.

Juvenile Judge Thomas Lipps will make the final determination.

The boy, who was a sophomore last year, was arrested at the school in March, accused of raping two 14-year-old freshman girls during school hours in separate incidents in February and March.

The boy's attorney, Ken Lawson, said the sex was consensual and said he plans to prove that in court.

Boys, 12 and 14, stabbed in Hamilton

HAMILTON - Two boys stabbed while riding mountain bikes at 12th and Hanover streets Tuesday morning were in intensive care at University Hospital.

Anthony Barefield, 12, was stabbed near the waist and Anthony Crowder, 14, was stabbed in the neck around 2 a.m. Tuesday after they stopped to watch two people arguing, police said. The man took out a knife and stabbed both boys. He fled the scene on a mountain bike, police said.

Hamilton police were looking for the suspect described as a man in his late 20s to early 30s.

Coroner shows jury dead baby's pictures

HAMILTON - The defense will present its case today for a 14-year-old accused of killing his 13-month-old brother.

Butler County Coroner Richard Burkhardt showed the jury enlarged pictures Tuesday of the baby, revealing bruises that dotted his body.

The child died of a ruptured heart on June 16, 2003.

An 11-year-old brother testified that he did not see the bruises until after the defendant called him into their mother's bedroom, where he saw the baby lying in the bed, not moving or breathing.

The mother of the boys is charged with involuntary manslaughter and child endangering. After sobbing throughout opening statements Monday, she was not allowed in the courtroom Tuesday.

Voinovich battles for roads
Wrecked cycle, six-foot cross warn mourners
14 years old, 2 murder charges
Cameras give kids a new view

Police hold hair stylist's boyfriend
Beaten 8-year-old slightly improved
City Hall changes - times 5
Clinton's tome slow out of gate
Judge calls for Warren prosecutor to resign
Voters positive; Kings ups levy
News briefs
Parents of Reservist meet privately with Bush
Neighbors briefs
Carina nine years gone; dad says system failed
Public Safety briefs
Symmes rejected as YMCA partner
Taft says tech issue might return
16-year-old dazed after wreck kills her cousin
Center's 1st reading low-key

Teen volunteers help at library

Louis Voelker was long-time fire chief in Deer Park

'I've opened some doors'
VP Cheney to speak for Davis
Priest pleads guilty to molesting boy, 14
Club Chef bringing 350 jobs
City may raise tickets, fees
Ky. man faces 44 years in kidnapping

  [an error occurred while processing this directive]