Friday, June 25, 2004

Public safety briefs



17-year-old charged in downtown killing

A Hamilton County grand jury indicted a 17-year-old from Clifton Thursday, accusing him of killing a pizza maker during a robbery attempt last month.

Christopher Wells was indicted on charges of aggravated murder and murder. Wells was initially charged in juvenile court, but Hamilton County Juvenile Court Judge Sylvia Hendon moved the case to adult court June 7.

Robbie Harris, 35, of Winton Terrace, had just left work at Uno's on Walnut Street about 11:30 p.m., May 12 and was waiting for the bus at Seventh and Vine streets when a man approached him and tried to rob him at gunpoint, prosecutors said.

Harris struggled over the gun with his attacker and was shot, the bullet piercing through his arm and chest.

Anti-tax-levy signs torn down in Fairfield

FAIRFIELD - A Fairfield anti-levy group is seeking donations to replace a dozen of its signs that were stolen over the weekend.

Twelve of the 22 "Vote No on the School Levy" signs that Citizens for Accountability and Results in Education put out were stolen, Arnold Engel, the group's treasurer said Thursday. Two other signs were torn down.

It will cost the group nearly $1,000 to buy replacement signs, Engel said.

Fairfield schools are seeking a 6.9-mill levy on the Aug. 3 ballot.

The levy, if approved, the cost for the owner of a $100,000 home would be $211.

Gravel pit accident claims 2-year-old

CARLISLE - A 2-year-old boy died Wednesday, a day after being pulled from a water-filled gravel pit.

Harold Lanter III died at Children's Medical Center in Dayton, hospital spokeswoman Arundi Venkayya Cox said.

Investigators said the boy's family was fishing at the gravel pit Tuesday evening when they lost track of the child. A family member found the boy face down in the water.

A family friend tried to resuscitate the child, who was taken to the hospital.

911 prank calls lead to man's arrest

Police arrested a Cincinnati man Wednesday and charged him with making more than 300 prank 911 calls in the past two weeks.

Police said Dennis Johnson, 44, made calls they described as obscene, abusive and threatening. The calls, department officials said, wasted time and resources.

Johnson was charged with disrupting public service and possession of criminal tools. Both charges are felonies.

Authorities said a man called police from a cell phone Wednesday afternoon claiming he had been robbed. Emergency dispatchers tracked the call.




TOP STORIES
Red berets might 'rock and shock'
McNicholas grad dies in violence
Missing professor baffles all involved
Teens die in crash; no belts

IN THE TRISTATE
White House e-mails apology to Fairfield business owners
Surgical hospital to open Sept. 1 in Butler
Airport ahead of growth, FAA reports
Mercury findings under review
Arts center built on hope, initiative
Korn eyed in cold-case '60s murder
No one smelled it coming: Bakery closes after 77 years
Bill gives ill nuclear workers new hope for compensation
Private eye must say why he's investigating juror
Check fraud stole $74K
Montgomery likes retail plan
Deerfield OKs Supercenter, with conditions
Public safety briefs
Neighbors briefs
News briefs

ENQUIRER COLUMNISTS
Downs: Forbes fogies lousy judges of Queen City
Good Things Happening

LIVES REMEMBERED
Adelaide Bellman Badgley helped kids
WWII fighter Thomas Jeffers survived stalag

KENTUCKY STORIES
Democrats' budget proposal a 'ruse,' says Senate leader
Ky. gets $10 million for disaster relief
Trial postponed in WKU slaying
No shirt, no shoes, no way you get in
Coach to be honored with field rededication
Library adamant on site for branch
State to restore Medicaid benefits
Fletcher says manufacturer bringing 165 jobs to Kentucky
Kenton extends paramedics
Bishop pushes officials to follow on abortion
Mammoth Cave called polluted
Patients' lawsuits backed by Dem