By William Croyle
HEBRON - Firefighters will knock on doors today in some of the older sections of town, handing out free smoke detectors.
The effort by the Hebron Fire Protection District comes after a fire Tuesday morning on Taylorsport Drive along the river consumed a home that did not have smoke detectors.
The owner of the home barely escaped, thanks to his barking dogs. It's the second time in two months that pets are credited with saving the lives of their owners. A fire on River Road destroyed a home in May, but the owner's cats made enough noise to wake him up.
"It's imperative that we get down there," said Mike Fronimos, public information officer for the Hebron Fire Department. "Having two fires down there in two months - we have to do something."
Some of the streets they'll visit are River Road, Bradford Avenue, Hart Drive and Ridge Avenue.
Many homes along the river were built in the early 20th century, some having survived the 1937 flood. New homes today must be built with hard-wire detectors, but detectors in older homes usually rely on batteries.
"People forget about them, or kids take the batteries out to put in their toys," said Fronimos.
The detectors from the fire department are free. They will also conduct free home-safety inspections by appointment.
The fire that destroyed the Taylorsport home Tuesday started about 3 a.m. Neighbors said the owner, Forrest Jones, was asleep when his dogs woke him up - just in time.
"He said it started in the room next to him," said neighbor, Tammy Henson. "He said he (and his dogs) barely got out the front door."
Firefighters determined an electrical problem started the blaze.
Jones called the fire department from Henson's home. Nearly 25 personnel from the Hebron, Point Pleasant and Burlington departments responded.
For more information on fire prevention and safety tips, visit www.hebronfire.org.
The vigil continues
Little to work on, but Army labors to analyze video
Thousands hold out hope
More health choices, more costs
An hour of sweat, a summer of wet
IN THE TRISTATE
Caseworker fired after mom charged
Region's air exceeding new U.S. limits for soot
Despite projections, CPS votes to count on static enrollment
Illegal drug use up in city, report says
Reform effort rethought
Square's denizens hope for ambience
Event limits eased a bit
Cleanup of lead contamination at Kings finishes one day early
Verity students to use old Lemon-Monroe site
Giving a sucker an even break
Luken calls for riverboat gambling
Mason votes on district
Witness says deputy made meth
Columbus smoking ban stirs activists here
Killer earns IQ hearing
Assault on lawyer results in prison
'No taxes' plan ends in prison
Public safety briefs
Good Things Happening
Ed Eilers was first LaRosa's franchisee
Phyllis Walker, ex-Post reporter
Arrest in motel attack
Kentucky News briefs
For this volunteer, summer is a time to help out others
Engineers named for 9 highway districts
Fires in older homes prompt free detectors
Parades, parades and parades