By Janice Morse
Enquirer staff writer
HAMILTON - A 46-year-old worker was electrocuted at a job site, the Butler County coroner has ruled, even though the wire he touched was not high voltage.
Dr. Richard P. Burkhardt on Wednesday said Daniel Anderson of Barnesville, in southeastern Ohio, died because he was wearing wet, muddy boots that helped electricity pass through his body as he handled an electrical wire.
About 6:30 p.m. Monday, Anderson and two fellow employees of Mid-Ohio Pipeline Co. Inc. of Lexington, Ohio, were working on Fort Hamilton Hospital's new intensive-care unit just north of the hospital on Eaton Avenue.
One of the workers knocked down an overhead wire with a forklift. Anderson, thinking the wire was a harmless cable TV line, began coiling up the wire, Burkhardt said.
"The current went through his left arm to his feet," Burkhardt said. During an autopsy Tuesday, Burkhardt found telltale signs of electrocution: an electrical burn on Anderson's left arm and tiny broken blood vessels in his feet.
Anderson was taken to Fort Hamilton's emergency room where he was pronounced dead minutes later, Burkhardt said.
Burkhardt said some people couldn't understand why Anderson died from handling a 110-volt line - about the equivalent of a household light bulb.
"It's not the voltage that kills you; it's the amperage and the voltage together that make for a dangerous condition," Burkhardt said. "You can get killed with 50 volts if the amperage is high enough."
Voltage is how strongly the electricity is being pushed through a line and amperage is the amount of electricity that is flowing, Burkhardt explained.
Meanwhile, an investigator from the federal agency that monitors workplace safety was interviewing witnesses at the site Wednesday.
Dennis Slessman, assistant area director for the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, said such an investigation is routine after a workplace death. Typically, the agency takes several weeks to a month to release its findings, Slessman said. He said he could not discuss the investigation.
Records show the agency has cited and fined Mid-Ohio for several "serious" workplace violations in recent years. But the specific nature of those violations was unclear, and Slessman declined to comment on the company's record.
A reporter was not able to obtain comment from Mid-Ohio.
Collectors grin at smiley plates
Teacher pay starts lower in Ohio, Ky.
Rulings put courts in turmoil
Mason v. judge: Ouster debated
Four-legged recruit not drug dealers' best friend
IN THE TRISTATE
Objections from neighbors put kibosh on outdoor bar and grill
Ohio may do Brent Spence impact study
Finan quits as county's lobbyist after just 6 months
Green Twp. thwarts Lowe's
Litter pickup steals time, money from road repairs, study reports
Local news briefs
Shooting range input sought
Inattentive officer dies in cycle crash
Some corn lost to rain
Man executed for 1989 murder of woman, girl
Concealed-weapon law passes key test
State to conduct open-records seminars
Public safety briefs
Colerain Township upset by Rumpke's delay
Woodland Elementary administrator named
Once flush, now broke, city weighs tax increase
2 Butler County rape suspects skip court dates
Dayton focus group proves tough sell for both parties
Some did pass teaching test
Worker's death was electrocution
Bronson: Gay marriage debate stifled by more mush
Good Things Happening
Bill Bunis turned from tennis, became sociology professor
Frank Florence Jr. was Baptist minister
Budget tensions thaw as Fletcher, House leaders meet
Judge says he won't make Fletcher convene session
Staples gets first approval
Hayden criticized for China seminar
Obstacle course teaches teamwork
Covington hires ombudsman
Covington woman charged for false abduction report