Saturday, October 9, 2004

Covington man died before fire at his apartment

The Enquirer

COVINGTON - Police said late Friday they are investigating why a 48-year-old man died at Cambridge Square apartments but say no foul play is suspected.

James Haynes died Friday afternoon, but it was before a fire began in his apartment about 3:30 p.m., Covington police said.

Reports earlier Friday had indicated Haynes died of smoke inhalation after a cigarette caught his mattress on fire.

Firefighters said that when they arrived, they found a smoldering mattress inside the small basement apartment on Promontory Drive.

The fire caused less than $2,500 damage, according to the fire department.

County will wall off Powers' courtroom
Drug case proceeds; judge had testified
West Nile became man's Twilight Zone
Four arrested in teen's death

Bush, Kerry clash in heated rematch
In their own words
Clooney called '60s liberal
Senate races rake in bucks
Greenhills voters can beef up home fund
Partner benefits could be curtailed
Wording of Ohio's gay-marriage ban called sweeping
Same goals but different paths
Election board vote tied on registration residency

Withrow remembered
Cincinnati's 'brownouts' coming to an end Sunday
U.S. citizenship grows by 70
Drake Center flier called 'outrageous'
Findlay Market to be open Sundays in '05
Frailey may get 3.9% raise
Schools cope with crowds
Local news briefs
3 more Mason students charged in stolen gun
Bond $600K in Miami rape case
Neighborhood briefs
State sues over fitness funds
Big weekend may boost science museum
Public safety briefs
Eighth-graders in Madeira gather items for troops

CSO program luminous
Ballet opens exuberantly

Good Things Happening
It's Saturday evening, time to go to church

Bernard Roeckers, XU athlete

Police seek assailant in store robbery
Trial date reset in abuse suit against diocese
Track upgrade ahead of plan
Family battles Bellevue for a handicapped spot
Lawmakers examine two health options
Keeneland dares to mix history, hi tech
N. Ky. news briefs
Federal legislation would aid speedway
Covington man died before fire at his apartment