Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Church memos called proof


Group criticizes prosecutors' action

By Dan Horn
Enquirer staff writer

A victim-advocacy group accused Hamilton County prosecutors Tuesday of ignoring documents that prove the Archdiocese of Cincinnati protected sexually abusive priests.

Leaders of the Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests said memos written by church officials in 1986 show they were aware of abuse allegations and concealed them from the public.

"It's catastrophic that they would have put more children in harm's way," said Christy Miller, president of SNAP in Cincinnati. "They were lying then and they're still lying now."

Miller said the documents, which were discussed Monday at a court hearing in Xenia, raise questions about a plea agreement last year between the archdiocese and Hamilton County prosecutors.

In that agreement, the archdiocese was convicted of a misdemeanor charge of failing to report abuse from 1978 to 1982.

Prosecutors defended the agreement Tuesday, saying the deal was the best they could do because all of the allegations they found were too old.

"Had we charged them for these offenses, they would have been dismissed," said Mark Piepmeier, the first assistant prosecutor who helped negotiate the deal.

He said the documents were among more than 10,000 pages of church records prosecutors reviewed as part of their investigation last year. Piepmeier described one of the letters as among the most important he saw.

"If there was an incriminating document, that was it," Piepmeier said.

Church officials said they did not conceal abuse allegations and complained that Konrad Kircher, a lawyer for abuse victims, distorted the meaning of the documents.

Kircher testified Monday that he saw the documents while reviewing a case pending before the tribunal overseeing the archdiocese's $3 million victim compensation fund.

In a 1986 memo, Kircher said, former priest personnel director Paul Rehling wrote a letter to Archbishop Daniel Pilarczyk after he learned of an abuse allegation from another priest. According to Kircher, the memo advised the archbishop to steer the alleged victim away from a civilian counselor.

Church spokesman Dan Andriacco said church officials made mistakes in their handling of past abuse cases but never sought to hide them from law enforcement.

E-mail dhorn@enquirer.com




TOP STORIES
Stadium refund: $14 million
Church memos called proof
Fighting for a neighborhood
Uncle Sam pointed and he stepped up

ELECTION 2004
Prosecutor hopefuls debate experience
Anti-Clooney ads continue
Limit on pressure at polls advances
Mongiardo says Bunning cheated in their debate
Ohio at the heart of it all to Bush, Kerry

IN THE TRISTATE
Ohio board adopts policy about bullying during school
Luken's budget would freeze pay for top managers
Lakota rethinks teacher pay
Students urged to help
Ingram: Reserve flu shots for high-risk
Cops chided on homicides
Area hospitals ranked seventh out of 25 cities
Lesbian couple wins custody point
Accused mom was delusional, prosecutors say
Norwood may delay payments
Teachers union head in Fairfield
Health Alliance helps train nurses
'Lesson' turns into kidnapping charges
Rec center vote may wait until November '05
Neighbors briefs
Public safety briefs
Local news briefs

ENQUIRER COLUMNISTS
Artist's words add to pictures

LIVES REMEMBERED
Norman Zeidler known as artist, loving father
Dr. Carl G. Ruehlmann, 86, family physician

KENTUCKY STORIES
GED path may get smoother
Tempers flare over ex-insurance exec
Murals moving along nicely
N. Ky. news briefs